Introduction to 1 Kings
First Kings records the death of David, the reign of Solomon, the building of the temple, death of Solomon, division of the kingdom under Rehoboam and Jeroboam, and the history of the two kingdoms to the reign of Jehoram over Judah, and Ahaziah over Samaria. Includes the mighty ministry of Elijah.
The book is in seven parts:
From the rebellion of Adonijah to the death of David, 1:1-2:11.
From the accession of Solomon to the dedication of the temple, 2:12-8:66.
From the division of the kingdom to the death of Jeroboam and Rehoboam, 12:1-14:31.
The kingdoms to the accession of Ahab, 15:1-16:28.
Accession of Ahab to his death, 16:29-22:40.
From the reign of Jehoshaphat to the accession of Jehoram over Judah, and Ahaziah over Samaria, 22:41-53.
The events recorded in First Kings cover a period of 118 years (Ussher).
- Show yourself a man (1 Kings 1-2)
- Spiritual wisdom (1 Kings 3-7)
- True worship (1 Kings 8-10)
- A kingdom divided; the road to destruction (1 Kings 11:1-12:24)
- The way of Jeroboam; the way of David (1 Kings_12:25-16:34)
- Elijah fights for the Lord (1 Kings_17-18)
- The gentle whisper of God (1 Kings 19:1-21)
- You will know that I am the Lord (1 Kings 20-22)